Dear friend, yes, we are all special and unique in our own way. The problem is when you become too “special” or too “unique.”
Then you become the kid that gets chosen last, the one sitting quietly near the group but not a part of it, or the classmate that everyone high fives and smiles at but that’s where the friendship ends.
You can easily become friendless.
I picked up my phone the other day and laughed when I saw a text a friend sent me. It was a typical moment of a typical day. My daughter’s response was anything but typical. She looked over and half smiled and looked down. She began fiddling with her nightgown’s hem.
Her longing was written all over here face.
No one would choose a friendless existence on condition of having all the other things in the world.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/friendless.html
Being friendless sucks.
We all desire human connection. Without friends, we are more prone to depression. We can’t get through this life alone, but that’s exactly how she feels.
There are a few things this family knows for sure:
- You can’t manufacture friendships, but you can teach your kids to find value in friendships with people who don’t look, sound, or talk just like them.
- As parents we can encourage our children to be a friend to those who genuinely could use one.
- Nothing makes any child, special needs or not, shine more than knowing someone wants to be their buddy.
- Nothing makes a child feel more worthless or hurt than not having a soul who wants to spend time with them. Sorry, parents and siblings can only band aid this one.
- The tears of rejection and loneliness of isolation can break a spirit.
- Where the friendless can feel empty, we have the power to help them feel overflowing with acceptance and joy. It’s free and easy to do!
We need to find value in people and our connections to them.
Want to be an inspiration? You can inspire someone to find hope and the strength to make it through another day by extending your friendship. Show up, share some of your time, and find the ways in which their value can make you both shine!